Make a difference today. Volunteer with us.
Depression, divorce, job loss, thoughts of suicide--everyone goes through crises in their lives, but no one should have to suffer alone. By giving just 3 hours a week to answer crisis calls, you can be a lifeline to hope to individuals in your community, and gain valuable crisis intervention, active listening, and high-stakes communication skills.
We'll be having our NexT Training on
There are two training sessions required in order to volunteer. Prospective volunteers will also be required to shadow a current volunteer for a shift (3 hours) prior to taking calls.
If you have any further questions please email our director Laura Vanderhoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
First, fill out our volunteer application. After it has been reviewed by our office, you will be contacted by one of the program directors.
Volunteers can expect to:
- Learn to actively listen
- Become trained in crisis intervention and learn to diffuse tense situations
- Improve interpersonal and communication skills
- Learn about local resources and organizations
- Gain experience in Public Health, Social Work, or related fields
- Internship opportunities
- Flexible volunteer schedule
- Make a difference in someone's life when they need it most.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Life in Utah County
- Be willing to submit to a background check
- Be mentally and emotionally stable
- Fulfill three, 3 hour shifts per month and one overnight shift (9 hours) per month
- Be dedicated, punctual and reliable
- Sign a confidentiality agreement
- Come to both training sessions (about 6 hours of training total)
What is a typical shift like?
Volunteers work alone in our Crisis Line call room. Our comfortable facilities include a desk, computer, couch, TV, WiFi, refrigerator, and snacks. Volunteers may bring personal items, such as laptops and homework, to the call room. Typically, a 3 hour shift will consist of 2-3 Crisis Line calls, an hour of Crisis Line work, and time to do homework, read, or use the internet.
If you have any more questions, or just can't wait to get involved, contact us using the form below.